Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Racism review...review

So, as some of you may know, I am currently making huge strides academically.  Several credits away from an MA, I am now starting to run a pilot study which will, hopefully, become my thesis.  I am studying the concept of modern racism.  I don't just study it, I live it.  I watch the documentaries, I practice what research has shown to reduce prejudice, I read the articles, I am constantly soaking up everything I can in order to surpass the expectation of a well-deserved grade.  I want this to be my life.  Research has already made clear that the problem exists, hypothesized the origins of the issue, and shown evidence of the enormous toll it is taking on minority races in this country.  My thesis-my life-brings about those actions, thought patterns and motivation that society needs in order to move forward.  Kenneth B. Clark, a prominent researcher in Psychology, made enormous impacts during the anti-segregation movement.  In the late 1980's, the frail, yet sharp man made a statement that will forever be embedded in my head:  he mentioned that this country did in fact desegregate schools, however, schools are still very much segregated (take a minute).  He did mention that there is hope for true equality.  All it takes, he suggested, is self-respect and motivation.
I wanted to quickly introduce just some of what consumes my mind everyday as well as promote one of the most powerful organizations I have come across thus far in my journey.  Racism Review sends their newsletters daily, that only scratch the surface of what these people find everyday in this country.  If nothing else, just take a quick glance at the website, you're not required to sign up.  However, should you sign up, a.  let me know and b. I promise an eye-opening experience.  Peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment